Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kill Refurb Marry: Spots for Watching the World Go By

I'm a day late on this, but I'm so excited for this particular topic of Kill, Refurb, Marry that I couldn't pass it up even though I missed the 'deadline' yesterday. 



As a WDW local, I have the fortune of being able to take it slow in the parks. I often scope out a good spot to sit and people watch, and boy do I have some favorites. That being said, the majority of this list will be places I'd 'marry,' along with a list of honorable mentions to which I'd like to be 'engaged.' 

The 'refurb' category was fairly easy for me, but the 'kill' took some time. Who wants to kill a part of Disney (Frozen aside... and did we hear the announcement of Frozen 2 today from the Disney shareholder meeting?! But I digress...). 

So without any further ado, I give you Kill Refurb Marry: Spots for Watching the World Go By

Kill

Town Square and Main Street U.S.A.

I know what you're thinking. How dare I. Don't get me wrong, I love MSUSA with a passion. It could use some benches though. And I know why it doesn't to prevent people from camping out all day for the parades and such. But what a fantastic place to people watch. 

I've sat on the curb for half an hour one day, watching people walk up Main Street and catch their first glimpse of the castle. Talk about happiness. There really should be benches for us to slow down, enjoy the background music, and enjoy an ice cream from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. (For a beautifully comprehensive and interesting look at Main Street's BGM, or background music, see this video by Foxxy Hooves, as well as this blog post regarding the history of MSUSA's BGM. In fact, just read her entire blog. You're welcome and there goes the rest of your day.)

And Town Square, don't even get me started. This is what is used to look like:


Not the big, open expanse of concrete and character meet n greets it is today, eh? Disneyland still has some of the trees, thank goodness. Disney World needs to get their act together and put some back in. I'd sit here for hours. And hours. 

Refurb

Let's just stay in the Magic Kingdom, shall we, and head up the street to the new Hub expansion


I'd refurb this by putting in benches. Again, I can see why they're not here, but it'd be so much better if they were. Prime people watching real estate, I tell ya. 

Also, I'd refurb the viewing area next to the Splash Mountain drop by adding some seating. I could sit here all day and watch smiling, happy, soaked people glide by. 





Okay, now on to the fun part. 

Marry

Top of my list would be the rocking chairs at Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island. They're shaded. They're rocking chairs. You've got a foot rest if you pull your chair up to the railing. Every 10 minutes or so you get the Liberty Belle tooting it's horn and gracing you with it's presence. When the Liberty Belle is not docked, you can hear the lovely country twang of the BGM and look out onto Liberty Square. There's water sounds and smells. It's glorious. 



Lilly Pulitzer Buttercup shorts (this particular print is old, but these shorts are closet staples)



A close second in my polygamous marriage would be the rocking chairs next to the Hall of Presidents exit, in Liberty Square. 




Again, great BGM, shaded, and rockers. It's tucked away so many people pass right by without even noticing you, and the ones who do usually make a remark about 'the best seat in the house' or something along those lines. And the sea of people when HoP lets out... who boy, fun times ahead. 

Third would be a toss up between the train station platform overlooking Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom, and the seating area around Echo Lake in (soon to be renamed) Disney's Hollywood Studios.





Nicely shaded and with nice BGM (both of which are obviously a big factor in my rankings), Echo Lake just might get the edge due to the water feature. And that's it's rumored to be on the chopping block. Enjoy it while ya can, folks. 

Engaged

I'm throwing in some honorable mentions, because they're too good to pass up. Most are attractions, which might not technically be a place where you can sit and watch the world go by you, but you can instead go by the world. Make sense? You'll see.

The WEDWay Peoplemover. Relaxing, rarely a line and a birds-eye view of Tomorrowland.



The Monorial. Same as above, but with a birds-eye view of the Seven Seas Lagoon or Epcot, depending.




Main Street vehicles. What a spectacular way to make your way up Main Street, especially when Barbara is driving. 




Frontierland rocking chairs. These are hard to come by, as they're often commandeered, but when they're open, they're great. In a prime location and shaded. Plus it's fun to watch the big birds stalk people for bits of their turkey legs. 


Okay, that's it for this month. Check back next month as we discuss Disney Partners. 


7 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love your blog! I will be back at WDW in about 40 days- yay! I'm with you on the benches and people watching... nothing better. You're blog makes me feel like I am there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, your comments just make my day! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Look forward to seeing you while you're here!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh people watching at Disney, lovely pastime! :) Maybe I'll walk by on one of my Disney excursions and see you! Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my very favorite things to do there. I'll keep my eye out for you- I love to meet follow Disneyphiles!

      Delete